Kislovodsk, etc.
Hello all. I'd like to start by thanking Mom, Kent, and Cory for the funniest comments on a blog post to date. I agree that I should stash a goat somewhere at Belmont. It seems very environmentally friendly to drink milk from my own goat.
So let's see...Thursday morning Dinislam was like "Hey, why don't we take you to Kislovodsk today." Of course, I had planned on going Friday, but I'm no longer surprised by the changes in my plans. :) So I packed up and we drove the 2 hours from Karachaevsk to Kislovodsk. There Din handed me over to Arkady, a sweet friend of ours I met at camp in 2006. We went and rented me a one room appartment, where I journaled and prayed and read my Bible most of the day.
It was so fun to be independent for a day. I made my own food on the tiny stove, watched some Russian news on the tv, and just spent time communing with the Lord. It was a breath of fresh air. That night Arkady, his wife Tonya, his daughter Erina, and I spent a couple hours walking through the amazing park downtown. It's one of the biggest parks in Europe, and it's huge, but since I have no concept of how big a hectare is, I can't really tell you how big it is...silly Europe and its Metric System.
The next morning we did the same thing - walk in the park - except this time a few more people tagged along and we were there for a good five hours. I'm a tad sunburnt. But it was so, so worth it!

This is the view from the semi-top of the mountain in the park. Did I mention these people like to hike up mountains? But it's a beautiful view of Kislovodsk.
Another part of the park. The city is so European. I almost forgot I was in the Caucasus.

Arkady's beautiful daughter. She's more amazing in real life. She talks more than any other two year old on the planet and her Russian words are so cute! (She can also say "black" in English. That's the only English word she knows haha)
Oh, and guess who else came to the park with us?? KATYA! Our lovely translator who has been with us at camp every year since the very first one. I had no idea she lives in Kislovodsk, but what a wonderful suprise to get to see her. For those of you who know Katya, she is doing well. Her mom is not great, but better than a year ago this time.
After spending the afternoon with Arkady and family (and speaking way too much English since he is fluent...I think I forgot Russian...), Guierman picked me up and drove me back home. It's been a while since I've been that exhausted - I blame the hike. But it was such a good couple of days to think, pray, talk, and experience.
This morning has been a difficult one for my stomach. I have been doing really well this week, until today, so please continue to pray for me. I'm in a lot of pain today, but I'm trusting the Lord to provide for me physically. He is the Great Physician. The pain is one thing, but when it starts to interfere with my life here, restricting me from doing things and seeing people, I get really frustrated. I'm going to walk around Karachaevsk with Venera today, as soon as I feel a little better.
Speaking of Venera, I'm trying to find a way to get her to camp with me. She works almost every day, and she can't leave work for a week, but I feel the Spirit prompting me to find a way to get her there. Maybe she can come for one or two days. I would gladly pay for her to come, but her job is the problem. I desperately hope either my conversations with her or the experience of camp will show her Christ's love. She is a beautiful girl inside and out, and my heart hurts for her because she does not know Him.
It hit me this morning that I leave here in three weeks. Three! That's crazy. And instead of being super happy for the short amount of time I have left here, I felt really sad. These people have become like family to me. They have taught me a lot about what it means to be the Body of Christ, in community with one another, and how the "church" is not a building but a group of people led by Christ. I mean, I knew that before, but had never quite seen it lived out like it is here. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: the church is this amazing universal network of people who are equal and united by Christ. God's people have taken care of me in every city I have visited here in Russia, people that I don't know well if at all. And their sole motivation is love in Christ for one of their sisters. It's a beautiful thing to experience.
But even though I'm learning so much from these people and this trip, I'm struggling a lot with seeing how Christ is working through ME. They are blessing me, but am I blessing them? I've been wresting with a sense of failure and insufficiency lately. Am I doing anything tangible for the people around me? When people ask me what I'm doing here, I can only say "Getting to know the believers...occasionally visiting the orphanage...communicating between Fellowship Bible Church and New Life Church...learning Russian." That's all I can say. Because I'm not doing anything tangible for them. I'm not seeing souls saved and lives drastically changed. I'm just living among them and going where they go, eating what they eat, speaking their language (sometimes).
My prayer lately has been "Lord, I don't need to know why you brought me here, or see the fruits. I just want to know you're planting seeds through me. I want to know you are working through me. I want to know I'm being obedient and faithful."
Waiting to see how He answers and what He calls me to next,
Jordan
So let's see...Thursday morning Dinislam was like "Hey, why don't we take you to Kislovodsk today." Of course, I had planned on going Friday, but I'm no longer surprised by the changes in my plans. :) So I packed up and we drove the 2 hours from Karachaevsk to Kislovodsk. There Din handed me over to Arkady, a sweet friend of ours I met at camp in 2006. We went and rented me a one room appartment, where I journaled and prayed and read my Bible most of the day.
It was so fun to be independent for a day. I made my own food on the tiny stove, watched some Russian news on the tv, and just spent time communing with the Lord. It was a breath of fresh air. That night Arkady, his wife Tonya, his daughter Erina, and I spent a couple hours walking through the amazing park downtown. It's one of the biggest parks in Europe, and it's huge, but since I have no concept of how big a hectare is, I can't really tell you how big it is...silly Europe and its Metric System.
The next morning we did the same thing - walk in the park - except this time a few more people tagged along and we were there for a good five hours. I'm a tad sunburnt. But it was so, so worth it!

This is the view from the semi-top of the mountain in the park. Did I mention these people like to hike up mountains? But it's a beautiful view of Kislovodsk.
Another part of the park. The city is so European. I almost forgot I was in the Caucasus.
Arkady's beautiful daughter. She's more amazing in real life. She talks more than any other two year old on the planet and her Russian words are so cute! (She can also say "black" in English. That's the only English word she knows haha)
Oh, and guess who else came to the park with us?? KATYA! Our lovely translator who has been with us at camp every year since the very first one. I had no idea she lives in Kislovodsk, but what a wonderful suprise to get to see her. For those of you who know Katya, she is doing well. Her mom is not great, but better than a year ago this time.
After spending the afternoon with Arkady and family (and speaking way too much English since he is fluent...I think I forgot Russian...), Guierman picked me up and drove me back home. It's been a while since I've been that exhausted - I blame the hike. But it was such a good couple of days to think, pray, talk, and experience.
This morning has been a difficult one for my stomach. I have been doing really well this week, until today, so please continue to pray for me. I'm in a lot of pain today, but I'm trusting the Lord to provide for me physically. He is the Great Physician. The pain is one thing, but when it starts to interfere with my life here, restricting me from doing things and seeing people, I get really frustrated. I'm going to walk around Karachaevsk with Venera today, as soon as I feel a little better.
Speaking of Venera, I'm trying to find a way to get her to camp with me. She works almost every day, and she can't leave work for a week, but I feel the Spirit prompting me to find a way to get her there. Maybe she can come for one or two days. I would gladly pay for her to come, but her job is the problem. I desperately hope either my conversations with her or the experience of camp will show her Christ's love. She is a beautiful girl inside and out, and my heart hurts for her because she does not know Him.
It hit me this morning that I leave here in three weeks. Three! That's crazy. And instead of being super happy for the short amount of time I have left here, I felt really sad. These people have become like family to me. They have taught me a lot about what it means to be the Body of Christ, in community with one another, and how the "church" is not a building but a group of people led by Christ. I mean, I knew that before, but had never quite seen it lived out like it is here. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: the church is this amazing universal network of people who are equal and united by Christ. God's people have taken care of me in every city I have visited here in Russia, people that I don't know well if at all. And their sole motivation is love in Christ for one of their sisters. It's a beautiful thing to experience.
But even though I'm learning so much from these people and this trip, I'm struggling a lot with seeing how Christ is working through ME. They are blessing me, but am I blessing them? I've been wresting with a sense of failure and insufficiency lately. Am I doing anything tangible for the people around me? When people ask me what I'm doing here, I can only say "Getting to know the believers...occasionally visiting the orphanage...communicating between Fellowship Bible Church and New Life Church...learning Russian." That's all I can say. Because I'm not doing anything tangible for them. I'm not seeing souls saved and lives drastically changed. I'm just living among them and going where they go, eating what they eat, speaking their language (sometimes).
My prayer lately has been "Lord, I don't need to know why you brought me here, or see the fruits. I just want to know you're planting seeds through me. I want to know you are working through me. I want to know I'm being obedient and faithful."
Waiting to see how He answers and what He calls me to next,
Jordan
Keep praying that prayer--we were at house church on Wednesday night. We prayed for the orphanage with the kids who were closed off. How is that going?
ReplyDeleteBefore I read that last paragraph, that prayer, I was about to comment and encourage you, because maybe your job isn't harvesting fruit but planted seeds. Both steps are equally as important. Jordan, He's working. I'm continually praying. I love you.
ReplyDelete-Kelsey
Don't put so much pressure on yourself to perform great things for God right now. This is preparation for the future...whatever/wherever that is. Think of an athlete who prepares for 20 years for the Olympics.
ReplyDeleteDear Jordan,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you are able to blog about how God has been working with you in Russia. It is a blessing to hear what amazing things you are doing, and I can tell you that they motivate me here in Spring Hill to make my life a mission for Christ.
I noticed your prayer at the end and it reminded me of your post on Sunday, May 30, 2010 about your goals. I recommend the next time you get on andare able to, go back and read what you wrote months ago about what you hoped to accomplish in Russia.
I believe you've accomplished those goals. I believe the Lord has used you for a purpose none of us can see fully now, but in time, God will bring into fruition. I really love this verse, and I found it after looking for one that I hoped God could help inspire and drive you.
"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." - Phillipians 1:6
As long as you are following what God is calling you to do, you are being obedient and faithful to Him.
Your time in Russia will spawn blessings upon people you have met and will not ever meet. It has deeply affected me, so I can honestly say you're making an impact.
Stay faithful, Jordan, and finish up your time in Russia with patience, love, kindness, and faith, and you shall surely see the benefits of your hard work in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. :)
Your Brother in Christ,
Zack
Back to the goat. If you had it at home, it would eat grass and then no one would have to mow the yard. Mom Yeager think of the gas you would save for the mower. If it's at Belmont, I am sure there is someplace that the grass needs to be taken care of. You could swap tuition payments for goat lawn service.
ReplyDeleteJordan, as I told you in an e-mail, the benefits and seeds you have sown there will be more then we all will ever know. We are all praying for you. See you in 12 days.
Blessings,
Kent