My Manifesto, a prayer

Do people really like me as a person? Is it possible for me to make really great friends? Do I have what it takes to graduate well, get the kind of job that will fulfill me vocationally, and maybe someday be open to marriage and a family? Am I actually moving toward being a functional, useful, mostly healthy member of society?

Those are my questions tonight. I recognize that they are spawned by fear and inadequacy and isolation. But I also recognize that you have very clearly and in an only minimally cheesy/predictable way answered them long ago, when my existence still lived as a thought in your creative imagination. You answered them simply by choosing to create me and invest yourself in every aspect of my being, even down to the worst of my flaws. By seeing the end result of Jordan and still deciding to create her, you made the statement,

"You are worth it."

And so, I am. By breaking the Trinity on the cross and restoring me to hope and unity with you, you made the statement,

"You ARE worth it."

And so, I am. By loaning me a body, a mind, and oxygen to breathe, you continue to make the statement,

"You are WORTH it."

And so, that is my manifesto. It is what I am, not what I feel like I am, or what I suspect I might be, but what I choose to trust that I am, because you said so. I choose again now, and again now and now and now, to trust you more than anything else I see, hear, feel, or imagine, and claim my worth and my hope for the future. I am worth it. I am dignified. I am special and beautiful, and I am being transformed into holiness with every breath. Not because I deserve it or even think its possible; just because you said so.

And that is my manifesto.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wednesday Refrain

Staying Outside