Dynamic
My roommate and I have been talking lately about whether or not God does big things in our lives. Of course, my first reaction is always to say "He does!" but when I start naming those things, they're usually not exactly big things. They are small things. Small things that meet me and my life at the exact right moment in time to become big things to me, when all outside eyes would say they're small.
And to be honest, most of the big things God does in my life are centered around Russia. He provides financially in the oddest, most mind-blowing and humbling ways. He puts a safeguard of protection around me, even in dangerous situations when I have no one on my side. He has given me deep relationships against all odds and through language buriers, helped me learn Russian, and done BIG things in lots of hearts and minds. I've been able to witness lives literally changed 180 degrees. I've been able to witness God's kingdom growing with each child I've led to Christ. I've seen people on the edge of death, orphans who have nothing, drug addicts in rehab centers. I've seen the poor be hospitable, the rich ignore me, the police pass by me, and children grow to love me. I could fill a book with the crazy, extravagant, big things God has done in and around me through this Russia thing.
But why Russia? Why doesn't God answer prayer in such big ways in my everyday life? What about halfway through the school year, when I'm going from class to class, laughing with friends, meeting with professors, gaining wisdom? Why does that seem so normal, and like God is just molding who I am instead of wowing me?
Last night after our team packing party, we stood and prayed together again. And we covered everything in prayer. We covered our luggage, our families in Nashville, our campers next week, the families we love in Russia. We covered our traveling, and we asked specifically for blessings and for hearts changed next week. We covered our whole team in prayer. We just prayed everything we could think of. We always do this when we pray as a team, and I know we do as individuals as well. Not to mention all the family, friends, supporters, and church members who are praying for us too.
And I just thought, as we prayed, how could we not see the good hand of God in this? How could we not, when we approach it with such prayer and intentionality, power, focus, love? And God loves his children. Scripture says he loves us and dotes on us and longs to give us the desires of our heart. We know his banner over us is love. And when we join him in the work we see him doing, how could we not see him do big things?
I want to live with this kind of intentionality in my everyday, Nashville life. I want to cover everything in prayer in such a way that I am ready to see those prayers answered. I love watching the Lord work on these Russia trips, and I want to see how he is working like that even here. Even now. Because he is not static, but dynamic. And I know he is always moving. Not just during my Russia seasons, but always.
And to be honest, most of the big things God does in my life are centered around Russia. He provides financially in the oddest, most mind-blowing and humbling ways. He puts a safeguard of protection around me, even in dangerous situations when I have no one on my side. He has given me deep relationships against all odds and through language buriers, helped me learn Russian, and done BIG things in lots of hearts and minds. I've been able to witness lives literally changed 180 degrees. I've been able to witness God's kingdom growing with each child I've led to Christ. I've seen people on the edge of death, orphans who have nothing, drug addicts in rehab centers. I've seen the poor be hospitable, the rich ignore me, the police pass by me, and children grow to love me. I could fill a book with the crazy, extravagant, big things God has done in and around me through this Russia thing.
But why Russia? Why doesn't God answer prayer in such big ways in my everyday life? What about halfway through the school year, when I'm going from class to class, laughing with friends, meeting with professors, gaining wisdom? Why does that seem so normal, and like God is just molding who I am instead of wowing me?
Last night after our team packing party, we stood and prayed together again. And we covered everything in prayer. We covered our luggage, our families in Nashville, our campers next week, the families we love in Russia. We covered our traveling, and we asked specifically for blessings and for hearts changed next week. We covered our whole team in prayer. We just prayed everything we could think of. We always do this when we pray as a team, and I know we do as individuals as well. Not to mention all the family, friends, supporters, and church members who are praying for us too.
And I just thought, as we prayed, how could we not see the good hand of God in this? How could we not, when we approach it with such prayer and intentionality, power, focus, love? And God loves his children. Scripture says he loves us and dotes on us and longs to give us the desires of our heart. We know his banner over us is love. And when we join him in the work we see him doing, how could we not see him do big things?
I want to live with this kind of intentionality in my everyday, Nashville life. I want to cover everything in prayer in such a way that I am ready to see those prayers answered. I love watching the Lord work on these Russia trips, and I want to see how he is working like that even here. Even now. Because he is not static, but dynamic. And I know he is always moving. Not just during my Russia seasons, but always.
Thank you.
ReplyDelete