For the Frustrated Ones of Us


What happens when we suck at it? Being like Christ. What happens when they can't tell us apart from the rest of the world? Or worse, they can tell us apart because we're even more incorrigible than the rest.

I've read enough books and heard enough sermons. I know the answers and I know the Greek, but I still couldn't tell you the mystery of this thing called being like Christ, or really why I'm not getting there.

Some days it bothers me more than others. We're supposed to be the body of Christ but I know very few who look like him. I don't. I just look like myself.

For me this is fleshed out in how I focus my mind on Christ, in classes like Moral Vision of the Bible, yet continue to live for myself. Live for running, for sunny days, for the friends I like and the plans I make. Live for worrying, being anxious, avoiding the things that threaten me. I live for the future, I live in the past, I hold onto my things so I remember how to name myself by them. Athlete. Student. Speaks Russian. Loves coffee and holidays.

I believe Jesus when he said, "Behold, you are a new creation. The old is gone and the new has come." I believe him when he said my sins are forgiven. But enough is enough. Can we end the hypocrisy and live like Christ? Can we do that?

We have to be willing to lay down our lives for our brothers.
Like, really be ready to do that.
That's the only way this thing works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wednesday Refrain

Finished

Least of These