Ezra 10:4
I ran a marathon last week. 26.2 miles of steady rain, cold
fingers, cheering spectators, and the hills of the streets I know so well. It
was a last hurrah, a celebration of Nashville, a celebration of running and
training and dedication, and it took a lot of guts.
It takes a lot of guts to run a marathon. It starts with the
winter. The days and weeks and months of putting miles on shoes on snow, on
frozen ground, watching your fast breath swirl the air. It starts on those days
when you run anyway and don’t skip it. It continues with speed work and sprints
and long Sunday runs. And it builds, as the months go by, and you get tougher
and somewhere along the way you get the guts it takes to run a marathon.
My favorite thing about the 26.2 is that you can’t just wake
up one day and say, “I think I’ll run a marathon today.” No. You either give
time and life and pain to the sport for months on end, or you don’t run it. You
have to wake up and say, “I’ll run a marathon next year,” and make it happen in the in-between, so you can wake
up on race day confident. It takes intentionality.
When I lined up for the Country Music Marathon I was anxious
to start. The first few miles I spent dodging runners who decided to be walkers
right in front of me, and weaving around crowds and potholes full of rain. I
remember the hill on Demonbreun because I hate it, and I remember seeing
friends on Music Row, but until I looked up and saw the 6 Mile marker I still
felt like it was mile 2.
And I felt that way until I split off from the half
marathoners on the east side, splashing through cold puddles. I remember
getting to the boring part of the course, where it’s flat and spreads out in
front of you, and I had no idea how many miles I had run but it felt like quite
a lot. I kept going.
And then there was Shelby Park, the hardest part, the
longest miles, and if it weren’t for the countdown of 5 more miles to the
finish, I might’ve hated it. But there were good cheerleaders there, and I was
close, and even though my stride was shortening and I was stiff and headachy, I
could trudge on happily.
It’s a surreal feeling to be running for so long, when it
feels like it might never end, and then finally get to a distance your mind can
understand. When I think about running 26.2 miles, I have to break it up into
sections, and when I got to the point where I could think “5k more,” it was
surreal. I don’t remember every mile, and I’ve probably forgotten a lot of the
pain and discomfort of that morning, but I will say the point where it got difficult
was the point where I could manage what I had left. 5k more. I can do anything
for 3 miles. I was prepared for this.
And so were the champions beside me. There was the guy who
told me “you’re on mile 15,” when I had no clue. There were the guys behind me
in the park who talked about pizza and beer and their biceps, making me laugh,
singing We Are the Champions. There was the girl who ran the last mile with me,
and we talked when we realized we still had plenty of breath, and when we got
to the finish shoot said, “this is it.”
A week later and I’m still recovering from the tendon trauma
of pounding pavement for four hours. But I consider it a success because not
only did I run it all, I enjoyed it all, even when it wasn’t easy. It was a
success because it was a celebration of camaraderie, of intentionality, of good
forward motion. It was a success because finishing a marathon close to the four
hour mark means, I think, I can call myself a runner for real. It was a perfect
mixture of internal motivation and external encouragement, independence and
togetherness, the seriousness of sport and the silliness of it. It was proof
that pain can be integrated into joy, sacrifice can be part of fulfillment, and
even if I had passed out in Shelby Park, someone probably would’ve carried me to
the medical tent. So, there’s that.
Thank you, Nashville, for being under my feet and above my
head as I moved. Thank you, friends who watched, for believing in my craziness
and cheering from under umbrellas. And thank you to all the thousands of
runners who ran beside me so it felt like we were in it together. It was a day
I’ll never forget.
See you next time.
Rise up; this matter is in your hands. We will support you, so take courage and do it.
Ezra 10:4
Comments
Post a Comment