Angry Rant
I have a serious problem with people tearing the Bible apart for term papers.
I have a problem with the prerequisite of scholasticism being a complete disregard for intuition, mystery, and the movement of the Spirit.
I have a serious problem with redaction criticism, because it's worth maybe 15% of our time and demands 90.
I have a problem with myself and my peers for sitting in classrooms three days a week thinking we're doing Christianity when we can't name one person living in poverty in our city.
If Jesus were sitting in the circle with us, he'd probably discuss the meaning of the scriptures, sure. He was a Rabbi. But he knew plenty of people who did that all day long, and he had a name for them. Hypocrites.
It seems very presumptuous of us to make claims like "Proverbs perpetuates an evil system of economic inequality," and get standing ovations from each other. And an A. I don't know, that's probably true about Proverbs, in one sense or another. And what we've "discovered" about lots of other books is probably true too, but who f-ing cares if we sit around and discuss it in air conditioned rooms for three years? If we tear apart our own Bible we're giving the world a reason to dismiss us, and if we don't tear it apart we invite them to hate us. I don't know what to do about that, but I'm thinking actually getting out of the classroom and acting more like Jesus is step one.
And yeah, professors, I'm talking to you too. You can lecture on social justice till the cows come home, but I'm sorry, do you have any poor friends?
End angry rant.
I have a problem with the prerequisite of scholasticism being a complete disregard for intuition, mystery, and the movement of the Spirit.
I have a serious problem with redaction criticism, because it's worth maybe 15% of our time and demands 90.
I have a problem with myself and my peers for sitting in classrooms three days a week thinking we're doing Christianity when we can't name one person living in poverty in our city.
If Jesus were sitting in the circle with us, he'd probably discuss the meaning of the scriptures, sure. He was a Rabbi. But he knew plenty of people who did that all day long, and he had a name for them. Hypocrites.
It seems very presumptuous of us to make claims like "Proverbs perpetuates an evil system of economic inequality," and get standing ovations from each other. And an A. I don't know, that's probably true about Proverbs, in one sense or another. And what we've "discovered" about lots of other books is probably true too, but who f-ing cares if we sit around and discuss it in air conditioned rooms for three years? If we tear apart our own Bible we're giving the world a reason to dismiss us, and if we don't tear it apart we invite them to hate us. I don't know what to do about that, but I'm thinking actually getting out of the classroom and acting more like Jesus is step one.
And yeah, professors, I'm talking to you too. You can lecture on social justice till the cows come home, but I'm sorry, do you have any poor friends?
End angry rant.
this is damn good.
ReplyDelete