Knife


Knife
by Mary Oliver

Something  
just now  
moved through my heart  
like the thinnest of blades  
as that red-tail pumped   
once with its great wings  
and flew above the gray, cracked  
rock wall.  
It wasn't   
about the bird, it was  
something about the way   
stone stays  
mute and put, whatever  
goes flashing by.  
Sometimes,  
when I sit like this, quiet,  
all the dreams of my blood  
and all outrageous divisions of time  
seem ready to leave,  
to slide out of me.  
Then, I imagine, I would never move.  
By now  
the hawk has flown five miles  
at least,  
dazzling whoever else has happened   
to look up.  
I was dazzled. But that  
wasn't the knife.  
It was the sheer, dense wall  
of blind stone  
without a pinch of hope  
or a single unfulfilled desire  
sponging up and reflecting,  
so brilliantly,  
as it has for centuries,  
the sun's fire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wednesday Refrain

Staying Outside