Chasing Aliveness
I want the things that make me come alive.
I know that means not-Atlanta. It means not-church-ministry,
and not-Baptist. It means not-office, not-sitting, not-idling.
What does it mean?
I’m really introverted most days, and that forces me to live
with heightened awareness of my energy. Where it goes and when it returns, what
things drain it and what things sustain it. I have to choose where I invest it,
because when it gets down to the bottom of the barrel, everything else must
wait.
My energy drains in the city.
My energy drains in traditional ministry.
I cannot be sustained in an office or cubicle, or in a life
of being still.
I’ve been watching how my energy surges in academia done
right, in rooms of people with ideas and solutions. Bioethics meetings.
Management meetings. The days when I go in and out of yoga classes, ethics
classes, running trails, and important work.
I am drained by monotony and jobs that don’t matter. I am
drained by words that are too plentiful and meaningless.
I am energized by the ability to work on my own, be in my
head, and collaborate afterwards. I am energized by physically moving around,
by breathing the better air outside of our buildings. I am energized by being
in leadership. Being in the sun. Being with the trees. Being with people in
times of great challenge. Interceding. Being a voice for prisoners. Being a
voice for the unborn. Asking the important questions. Telling the big-picture
story again.
Joseph Campbell says follow your bliss. Parker Palmer says
let your life speak. They mean move away from the things that threaten your
aliveness.
They mean move out west.
And study ethics.
Work in a hospital.
Get outside.
Fill your lungs with better air.
Go it alone, maybe.
Do what you need to be alive and free.
What do you need to do to be free?
Comments
Post a Comment