I am Kelly Gissendaner.


I am Kelly Gissendaner. I, too, have been angry and bitter. I, too, have wished harm on others. I have been found guilty. I have been sentenced to death. I have found grace in my guilt, and become someone new. I have found hope in dark places.

I am Kelly’s executioner. I am complicit in her death. The state kills on my behalf. I have not done all I could do; I have failed to recognize redemption where it is breaking into the world. I have looked on others with eyes that see only their sin. I believe in a system where you are what you do, on your worst days. I distance myself from compassion.

I am Gregory Owen. I have broken the law. I have implicated others in my sin. I have gotten a better deal than the people I love. I am voiceless and guilty.

I am Kelly’s lawyer. I am fighting for her life. I am nearly powerless; still, moving. I believe my work ends only when I see justice.

This story is mine; this story is ours.

With the growing media attention, the surge of tweets and hashtags, the meetings and vigils and protests, I call us to remember our place in this story. We are not the blameless casing blame. We are the people of God. We are implicated in sin; we are exploding with hope; we make change by shining a light on the injustice of our systems. We witness to a better way.

We are accuser and accused. We are a grace-filled people. And we proclaim resurrection – today, tomorrow, and the day after that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wednesday Refrain

Staying Outside