A Few Random Things

Yesterday, on my birthday, we went to a restaurant for dinner. We ate here - a little cabin thing on the Kuban river. Beautiful.

And we took a bunch of pictures. This is Inna and her daughter Lianna, who turns 6 this month. So blessed to spend my birthday with these sweet people.

This picture is really dark, but if you look closely you can see my JELLO CAKE with candles flopping everywhere, and Robert who thinks it belongs to him...

My card from Venera. It says something like "Today is your birthday...I hope you get everything you dream of...etc." Something like that.

Ok, this one is off topic but I want to show you anyway. This is what we do in Sunday School -- go outside and try to keep them busy. This week was crazier than most because there were like 35 kids under 12. There's a shortage of teachers, so we've been combining the age groups. I think they could use some structure, but until then, we just play.


Here is what the Lord has been encouraging me with the past couple days:

"Thank God that He does give us difficult things to do! His salvation is a joyous thing, but it is also something that requires bravery, courage, and holiness. It tests us for all we are worth. Jesus is 'bringing many sons to glory' (Hebrews 2:10), and God will not shield us from the requirements of sonship. God's grace produces men and women with a strong family likeness to Jesus Christ, not pampered, spoiled weaklings. It takes a tremendous amount of discipline to live the worthy and excellent life of a disciple of Jesus in the realities of life. And it is always necessary for us to make an effort to live a life of worth and excellence."

"We tend to say, 'But God could never have called me to this. I'm too unworthy. It can't mean me.' It does mean you, and the more weak and feable you are, the better. The person who is still relying and trusting in anything within himself is the last person to even come close to saying, 'I will serve the Lord.'"

-Oswald Chambers in My Utmost for His Highest

Comments

  1. JORDAN! I am so so sorry I haven't posted till now. The fact that I don't have a computer is a bit of a hindrance...

    I have loved reading all of your blogs! It looks amazing there. Beautiful scenery, beautiful people. God is so good. And I'm so glad that you aren't always looking at the calendar counting the days anymore. Answered prayers. :)

    Your pictures look great, I have laughed out loud at most. Happy belated birthday! Your jello cake looked... no words. Haha I bet it was interesting-and yummy I hope?
    Anyways, I have been brought to tears while reading your blog posts because of what God is doing in you. It is when we are so needy and away from comfort that the Spirit really begins to do big things... because we NEED Him to. And He is for sure doing things through you. It still absolutely blows my mind that you can't conjure up enough Russian to spread the gospel comfortably (that felt weird typing that line... spreading the gospel comfortably? you know what I mean :) ) but you are still doing God's work and helping bringing the kingdom to earth. You are being faithful to God's plans for you and He is blessing you. It's beautiful to see.

    Keep reading and praying. Keep asking God for more ways to use you and stretch you. We are all praying for you here and can't wait for you to get back and tell us ALL about the trip. I can't wait to hear every detail... maybe leave out the sickness from the food. :( I hope that's going better, by the way.
    We love you sister. Know that God is sovereign. His plan is perfect. He brings good out of everything- even when you mess up. Which is one of the many reasons why He is so awesome. :)

    Glory be to God!

    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jordan,
    Your words are a joy to read. I wish we could be there with you. It encourages me every time I read your words. I am challenged by your words and grateful for your experience. I am sure it will forever alter your life.

    Blessings,
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordan,
    We were on vacation from June 23 to July 3, so I have just now had the opportunity to read your posts from the last week or so. Thanks for sharing your frustrations and your joys. I am jealous that you are learning to speak and understand Russian so well. I can truly appreciate your statement that what you love about Russia is the people. There is not much to love other then the people, but loving them is so very easy. Thanks for being there and getting all our questions answered for the family camp, it has certainly made my job easier. Thanks for your heart for the Lord and the Russian people. We are praying for you and can't wait to see you. Give Sasha, Nadya, Rubin and Vitalik hugs for me. Kent

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Wednesday Refrain

Staying Outside