I Ate M&M Ice Cream Today!
So today, bright and early, we set out on the great adventure of STAVROPOL. Too bad all I saw of the city was the one big store we went to.
Like I said, God's working on that whole "I like to make plans and envision them in my head and stick to them" thing in me.
But regardless of my slight disappointment at not experiencing the city, it was a good day. Dinislam, Inna, and I spent about 5 hours shopping in this ginormous store called "Metro." It's kind of like Walmart plus Sam's Club minus a lot of American things. But peanut butter? Yes. Russian chocolate to bring home for the fam? Yes. A movie in Russian so I can keep hearing it when I get home? Yes. Plus we got most of the food for the Teen Camp next week, which is A LOT. I'm sure gas mileage was significantly lower on the way home. There was probably 40 pounds of food back there...
Oh, and a few things I just had to take pictures of. This one is for Mom:

Yep, it says House. Actually, "Doctor Enigma - House - Person and Series." Hahaha.
And that is "Benjamina Buttona" aka Benjamin Button! :)
All that shopping for the teen camp made me really excited. I'm not going to the camp, but there's a team from Georgia coming on Saturday to lead it, and you better believe I'm going to the airport to welcome them. Yay Americanssss! And I'm praying I get to see some of our translators as well, before they go off to Teberda on Sunday for camp. I miss them! And it's hard to believe, but MY American team is coming in just a little over TWO weeks for Family Camp!
One quick update on the orphanage and then you'll get to see what I did yesterday...
So there was another official meeting yesterday with Dinislam, Dima, the government officials, all the orphanage workers, and the children. It's official - the orphanage is closing and the children are going to the government orphanage. Some families from the church hope to adopt them from there. Dinislam and Inna want to take 3 - two brothers and one sister - which would be a really big and difficult thing for their family relationally and financially, but would mean a stable family for the kids. I'm just not sure what would be the best outcome for everyone. Please join me in prayer...these children need it. Their world is turning upside down right now. They've lived in this orphanage for most of their lives, and many of their remaining family members live in this city, so moving to the other orphanage means leaving everything they know, including the church community.
Transition to yesterday. After fitness I went to visit Indira, my Russian mama. Since year one she has been the sweetest mother figure to me during my stays, always getting angry if I don't eat and making sure I'm taken care of. She doesn't speak one word of English, but I love her all the more for it. Anyway, her baby girl Sabina is allergic to cow's milk, so guess what they have in their yard?
Goats, of course.
That's Indira and her son Aydar, and me trying to milk the goat...
The goat's name is Katya.
Yep, I am a professional.
Like I said, God's working on that whole "I like to make plans and envision them in my head and stick to them" thing in me.
But regardless of my slight disappointment at not experiencing the city, it was a good day. Dinislam, Inna, and I spent about 5 hours shopping in this ginormous store called "Metro." It's kind of like Walmart plus Sam's Club minus a lot of American things. But peanut butter? Yes. Russian chocolate to bring home for the fam? Yes. A movie in Russian so I can keep hearing it when I get home? Yes. Plus we got most of the food for the Teen Camp next week, which is A LOT. I'm sure gas mileage was significantly lower on the way home. There was probably 40 pounds of food back there...
Oh, and a few things I just had to take pictures of. This one is for Mom:

Yep, it says House. Actually, "Doctor Enigma - House - Person and Series." Hahaha.
And that is "Benjamina Buttona" aka Benjamin Button! :)All that shopping for the teen camp made me really excited. I'm not going to the camp, but there's a team from Georgia coming on Saturday to lead it, and you better believe I'm going to the airport to welcome them. Yay Americanssss! And I'm praying I get to see some of our translators as well, before they go off to Teberda on Sunday for camp. I miss them! And it's hard to believe, but MY American team is coming in just a little over TWO weeks for Family Camp!
One quick update on the orphanage and then you'll get to see what I did yesterday...
So there was another official meeting yesterday with Dinislam, Dima, the government officials, all the orphanage workers, and the children. It's official - the orphanage is closing and the children are going to the government orphanage. Some families from the church hope to adopt them from there. Dinislam and Inna want to take 3 - two brothers and one sister - which would be a really big and difficult thing for their family relationally and financially, but would mean a stable family for the kids. I'm just not sure what would be the best outcome for everyone. Please join me in prayer...these children need it. Their world is turning upside down right now. They've lived in this orphanage for most of their lives, and many of their remaining family members live in this city, so moving to the other orphanage means leaving everything they know, including the church community.
Transition to yesterday. After fitness I went to visit Indira, my Russian mama. Since year one she has been the sweetest mother figure to me during my stays, always getting angry if I don't eat and making sure I'm taken care of. She doesn't speak one word of English, but I love her all the more for it. Anyway, her baby girl Sabina is allergic to cow's milk, so guess what they have in their yard?
Goats, of course.
That's Indira and her son Aydar, and me trying to milk the goat...
The goat's name is Katya.
Yep, I am a professional.
Hey, thanks for that pic! So, do they watch House in Russian, or with subtitles?? Girl, I am excited about the chocolate. Just remember, Mom always gets more than everyone else. :) And don't go thinking you can get a goat for our backyard b/c you can't drink milk. No.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was a newborn, I was allergic to cows milk so my mom gave me goats milk. Over time I was able to drink regular milk. I don't remember drinking goats milk, so it was not like I did it for long. The people with goat did not have kids so they gave it to my parents for free.
ReplyDeleteI think Jordan needs a goat when she get's home. She can keep it at Belmont somewhere.
Kent
I ate goat for a week straight once
ReplyDelete