Passion/Gifting/Vocation

I wonder what the world would be like if everyone studied, acted, served, and lived inside their gifting. I'm almost a week into my fourth semester at Belmont, and I've been thinking a lot about passions and gifting this week.

Because I'm noticing a profound shift in how I view school, a shift that I think has a lot to do with what I'm studying now. This is my first semester with NO gen. ed. classes - just classes that I chose, classes that have to do with my major and minor. Really, it's my dream semester. Who wouldn't love taking Advanced Greek, Greek Readings, Russia and the Soviet Union Since 1900, Intermediate Russian II, and World Religions??

It turns out, a lot of people. A whole lot of people. Like, basically everyone I talk to looks at me like I'm insane for loving these classes. Maybe I am, but it's so great to get up in the morning and look forward to a day of classes, homework, and conversation about God, Russia, Russian, Greek, the Bible, and the world. Like I said, a profound shift from my experience last semester, when I never heard a word of Russian and didn't know anyone else cared about the history of Islam in Europe. All of a sudden, I want to memorize verb endings and geography. Who knew??

I've known from day one that I love studying religion here. But adding another aspect of my passion, Russia and its people and language, into my studies has made school come alive for me this week. I probably shouldn't admit how many hours I've spent actually enjoying my homework so far...college students everywhere would mutiny. But the point is that when people live inside their gifting (for me, theology, languages, mission work, etc), they become more dynamic people. I've observed this in others my whole life and somehow still abstracted the idea, until I began to see it in myself. Sometimes I'm like a 2 year old and need to learn lessons for myself...but anyway. Do you know what I mean? Your favorite high school teacher. The preacher you heard one time whose sermon you will never forget. The professor in college who was overjoyed to stay after class to answer questions. Mother Theresa, Mahatma Ghandi, Martin Luther King Jr.

I knew about this before, like I said, especially since I took a class on "vocation" my first semester. But now I'm finally understanding it and realizing that it might someday be possible for even me to combine all of my passions into a vocation that makes me come alive AND blesses others. It might take me years, a $136,000+ undergraduate education, and a $? graduate education to find it, but I think it's out there. And in the mean time, it's so fun to be learning the things I'm learning here.

(Disclaimer: I cannot guarantee this perspective will last through all of the papers, exams, and reading assignments ahead of me)

On an entirely unrelated note, David and Larry leave for Karachaevsk this Friday -- in 3 days! This is going to be the most pivotal, important, and vital trip we have ever organized in our partnership with New Life Church. I'm convinced it will lead Fellowship entirely one way or the other - towards or away from further investment. Which means it will probably determine my future plans to travel/not travel there. PLEASE be in constant prayer for Larry, David, their translator, and all involved in the church over there. There are a lot of unknowns, down to the travel details (it's winter and they're going to Russia...), and much more. I'm nervous, but hopeful. God can

Also, Natasja will probably have her baby while they are there. Pray for mom and baby! I know she is nervous about Russian hospitals. And speaking of babies, Nadya (who told me at least once a week she wouldn't have any more kids) is pregnant :))) She's due in August, and I REALLY hope I get to meet the little bean this summer! Join me in praying for their health.

Comments

  1. I know what you mean about being happier when your God-given gifts coincide with what you're doing with your life. Isn't that the point?
    I just wrote an email to a woman about myself and my passions. I can see where my passions and my gifts intersect and I know what I need to be doing for that to continue.
    I want to live in my passions for the rest of my life. That's when I'm happiest and when I can best see God working in me and through me.
    God's got amazing planning skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be praying for David, Larry, and all of those involved in the church, as well as Natasja and Nadya. God is definitely moving! Glad to see He's doing it in your life too, especially with your passions that you now have the opportunity to enjoy. And you should enjoy them, because they make up the person God designed you to be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Wednesday Refrain

Staying Outside