Some Winter Reading For You
I'm reading some of the best books right now, and I need to recommend them to you.
Reaching Out by Henri Nouwen
By virtue of being written by Nouwen, this is worth reading. But also by virtue of being about ethics.
Blood Brothers by Elias Chacour
A Palestinian Christian's account of being forced to leave his home in Israel when the Zionists invaded and Israel became a state. Extremely interesting for its point of view - the tension between Jews, Palestinians, Christians of all ethnicities, and various world powers was/is more complicated than we want to believe. Israel's statehood is more complicated that we want to believe...
The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway
Don't hate me for loving Hemingway. This book is simultaneously dark and hilarious. Maybe a commentary on people who have nothing to live for? I don't know, that's just what I'm picking up. Fabulous writing.
The Bible Made Impossible by Christian Smith
Addresses Biblicism in the church. I'm finding this book very helpful in thinking through my own Biblicist tradition and where I want to land as I think critically about the Bible. I disagree with every other page, but then a couple pages later I admit I don't disagree anymore. Basically, it will force you to be honest. Haha.
Manna and Mercy by Daniel Erlander
Oh my goodness, rocking my world. An illustrated retelling of the Bible in extremely simplified yet profound terms. I'm loving the themes and ways of looking at the God-People-World story (aka, the Bible).
Living Prayer by Robert Benson
Reading this for class. It's not as overtly about prayer as you would assume, but it is a great little book. His chapter on seasons/liturgy made me wish I was part of a liturgical church.
I'm reading some more for class, but these are the ones really influencing me right now. As you can see, I have a horrible habit of reading too many books at one time... :)
Reaching Out by Henri Nouwen
By virtue of being written by Nouwen, this is worth reading. But also by virtue of being about ethics.
Blood Brothers by Elias Chacour
A Palestinian Christian's account of being forced to leave his home in Israel when the Zionists invaded and Israel became a state. Extremely interesting for its point of view - the tension between Jews, Palestinians, Christians of all ethnicities, and various world powers was/is more complicated than we want to believe. Israel's statehood is more complicated that we want to believe...
The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway
Don't hate me for loving Hemingway. This book is simultaneously dark and hilarious. Maybe a commentary on people who have nothing to live for? I don't know, that's just what I'm picking up. Fabulous writing.
The Bible Made Impossible by Christian Smith
Addresses Biblicism in the church. I'm finding this book very helpful in thinking through my own Biblicist tradition and where I want to land as I think critically about the Bible. I disagree with every other page, but then a couple pages later I admit I don't disagree anymore. Basically, it will force you to be honest. Haha.
Manna and Mercy by Daniel Erlander
Oh my goodness, rocking my world. An illustrated retelling of the Bible in extremely simplified yet profound terms. I'm loving the themes and ways of looking at the God-People-World story (aka, the Bible).
Living Prayer by Robert Benson
Reading this for class. It's not as overtly about prayer as you would assume, but it is a great little book. His chapter on seasons/liturgy made me wish I was part of a liturgical church.
I'm reading some more for class, but these are the ones really influencing me right now. As you can see, I have a horrible habit of reading too many books at one time... :)
Comments
Post a Comment