Funneled

It seems like I've spent years of my life preparing for a Russia trip. I am always amazed at how much work it is, how much time it takes, and then by the time another year rolls around I've forgotten all of the work and only remember the faces of my family there.

That's what Mom says having a kid is like. "Pain? What pain? Look at that face!" - every mother

:)

But I think I'll remember the 2011 debacle for a few years.

I'm supposed to be in Moscow right now, you know. Boarding a plane for St. Petersburg. But I'm not; I'm in my room, suitcase zipped, ready to leave Nashville tomorrow morning. A two-day delay may not seem like a big deal, and it really isn't in the grand scheme of things, but it has been a huge emotional and mental shift to change plans so last minute. First, the airline cancelled my in-country flight and rebooked me for a day later, which forced me to plan an overnight stay in Moscow. Then I got word on Thursday afternoon (my original departure time was around 10am on Friday) that the airline cancelled me out of one of those rebooked connection flights - this time with no new viable option. I could choose to get to Moscow and see what happens, or cancel all of my flights and reschedule for another day.

I was prepared to go ahead and go to Moscow. But long story short, everyone and everything said "reschedule," and so I did.

Thursday night, when I was struggling to make a decision, I talked extensively to my parents. After everything was said, Mom told me to go spend 15 minutes alone with the Lord and just listen.

I listened and cried and just heard Jesus asking me why I was so distraught over a rescheduled trip.

If I was going to Russia for me, for my plans, I would be there now. Because I wanted to get on that plane and prove I could make it just fine, third flight or no third flight. But if I'm going to Russia for God, for His plans, then why would I not let Him tell me "wait?"

I pray all the time for God to funnel me. I want Him to funnel me into the situations and the opportunities and relationships He wants for me, and I ask for that constantly. I can't ask for that and promptly climb out of the funnel.

And so I might never know why my plans were changed so late in the game, but I know it was God's choice and not mine, and I know He's trustworthy. Tonight I'm fixing my eyes on Jesus, praying for my memory to recall all that He has done for me. If He wills, I'm getting on the plane tomorrow and I'll be in Karachaevsk within 24 hours later. And if He wills, my next blog post will be from the other side of the globe. Friends, please be in prayer for me and for God's work in the Caucuses. I can't wait to see my Russian family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wednesday Refrain

Staying Outside