Staying Put

We run away from each other, us humans. We flee because we are unknown and because we are afraid to be known. We flee the reflections of ourselves we see in others, because it's the things we hate in ourselves we most hate in those closest to us.

Life is a test to see if we can stay put more than we run.

If we can want to be known by someone more than we want to be safe. If we can look another person in the eye day after day, in wealth and poverty, sickness and health, and say, "This is who I am."

And if someone can do that to us, if we can look them in the eye too, and say, "I see."

What makes a runner ok with staying put? What makes us ready to know and be known? How are two people ready at the same time?

I think all of us want to pulled in by someone. I just don't know if we all want it enough to stop being afraid and let it happen.

And if any of us are strong enough to watch someone struggle to stay put, waiting for them. Ready for them. Promising to hold their heart tight as they let go one white-knuckled finger at a time.

I want to be the one letting go and I want to be the one waiting for you to. I want to watch it happen and know it can happen and see how life can be that way.


Life is a test to see if we can stay put more than we run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wednesday Refrain

Staying Outside