Ruben
So this morning I woke up tired. I've been tired all day. I would go to bed early but Michelle is getting ready to go out, so there is hairspray, music, and makeup galore in our room. I decided to escape to Sarah's room for some facebook/blog/Bible time, so here I am.
But back to my story.
After my 9:00 class I tried to nap, but couldn't fall asleep. I sat up, climbed down from my bunk, and (surprise, surprise) got on my laptop. No sooner did I enter the blogosphere than Matthew Paul Turner's posts surrounded my heart and took all the oxygen out of the room.
If you've never encountered his blog, click on his name above and have a look. Matthew is in Uganda with World Vision right now, mourning the situation of thousands of suffering Africans, while I'm sitting at my desk angry because I'm tired. Tired. Really?
What's going on in Africa is horrible, it is, I thought to myself. But I don't have $35 a month to do what he's asking. I can't sponsor a child, I can barely pay for gas.
Then I saw it. A picture on one of the posts that broke my heart in two. A baby boy with a sticker on his hand. "I just wanted him to know I see him," are Matthew's words under the picture, explaining why he gave the child a sticker.
That was it. I clicked on the link to the World Vision site. I am now the proud sponsor of a one year old boy in Tanzania. His name is Ruben and he has big brown eyes and ears that stick out a little bit. And as soon as I can write him a letter, this is what I'll tell him:
I see you.
Comments
Post a Comment