Getting Busier...

Today I went to the government orphanage, which is about an hour or so away. I was a little disappointed that all the kids were gone to camp, and all we did was talk to a couple of the adults. Ok, Dinislam talked to them and Inna and I listened. I've come to realize that there is no limit to Din's ability to converse. He literally can talk for an eternity. This is why church lasts 4 hours, dinner conversation up to 4, tea time around 2...you get the picture. I think when we get to heaven, he will be the one talking everyone's ear off. Him and Peter. You just wait.

So anyway, the orphanage is in much better condition than the private one I've been going to, but is still pretty sad. Dinislam is planning to help them redo some floors soon, which is a good 'foot in the door' I think. There are 50 children living there. I didn't see much of the building, but I might go back sometime. I don't think there's much I can do there, since they don't allow foreigners. (Thanks, lady from Tullahoma who sent her kid back to Russia!) When I go I have to be quiet, not even speaking Russian. I guess I have an accent or something? :)

After that we stopped by the house where the Family Camp cooks live, to talk to them about camp. Among other things, of course (*cough* Dinislam). They are really sweet people! I planned on going to Fitness today, but of course we stayed at this house until after I was supposed to be at the studio (I use the word studio lightly here). :)

Tomorrow I am going to Cherkessk with a couple girls. It's a bigger city, and Irina wants to do some shopping for her wedding. Also, I want to buy a bunch of groceries for Din and Inna, including ingredients for an American meal. I'm looking forward to a good day! And I promise I'll bring my camera. Haha.

Oh, here's a God thing for you. I found out last night that there is a hole in my purse, and things have been falling into the bottom, under the material lining the inside. Hello CHAPSTICK, LIP GLOSS, LOST PENS, LOST KEY, and CELL PHONE!! Praise the Lord about those last two, huh? I've been praying for that key for over a week now.

On Wednesday I'm going downtown for some city outreach with Dinislam and whoever else. They exchange chocolate bars for people's cigarettes, and hand out books and Bibles in the local Karachai language. There's a prayer request for you --- we think the outreach is what sparked the vandalism in the church, but are continuing anyway. So please pray for safety, for the Spirit of God to be present and active and draw people, and for the hearts of those who will listen to us. Also pray for me, because I have no idea what to expect and still don't know enough Russian to share the Gospel. As with almost everything here, I'm not sure how my giftings and abilities can fit into these efforts, but I'm trying to keep my eyes open and go moment by moment.

Thursday and Friday I will probably go to the private orphanage with Inna, and visit Venera. It's weird to even have this much planned for my week, since I've been going day by day. I mean, it will definitely change, but I have a handful of new things filling my time this week, which is really good. Keeping me busy. Helping my Russian.

Speaking of, guess what? I dreamt in English AND Russian last night. No kidding. It took almost exactly 3 weeks, so props to Natasja for calling that one. She said "You'll be dreaming in Russian in 3 weeks." I didn't believe her. It was so crazy though, I dreamed that I was back home, but people around me were speaking Russian. I could understand them, but had completely forgotten how to speak it. I was so frustrated. I don't know what good this language is going to do me after I leave Russia, but after spending so much time, effort, and energy on learning it, I am compelled to keep improving when I get back home.

I'm missing everyone! But at the same time, I'm feeling pretty settled in here. If it wasn't for my stomach's incompatibility with this place, everything would be looking good for staying here permanently.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

:)

Comments

  1. What's going on with your stomach? It's the salty cabbage soup, isn't it?! Cool to hear about the events planned for this week. Sounds like some great opportunities. We'll be praying for the Wednesday night outreach event. Chocolate for cigarettes - cool!
    Joel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Wednesday Refrain

Staying Outside