More Random Things
Another beautiful day in the Caucuses. Yesterday I had a Russian lesson, spent time with the Germans (always), and went to Din and Inna's for the rest of the day. They live in a little apartment on the fifth floor (elevator? what's an elevator?), and are busy with some renovations. Inna's asthma is still bad, but better than before she went to the hospital. She's allergic to her apartment, the city, most houses, the church...so when she goes to the orphanage with me, we will have to take the kids outside. Same with Sunday school. Tomorrow I'll be helping with Sunday school since last week I stayed in the service. I think I might switch off, or maybe just do Sunday school. Not sure. I'm excited to see everyone at church, though. It's the coolest thing - there's about an hour before the sermon where people share news, stories, whatever with each other, in between worship songs. Very community oriented, like everything here.
Seriously, everything. Tea time like every two hours and it lasts an hour, while we talk. I think I'm becoming addicted to caffeine. I think I'm going to be having tea time every couple hours in my dorm room now. And everyone has to come and sit and talk with me, ok? :)
So the current plan (which isn't really a plan, because things change every moment around here) is to stay at Sasha and Nadya's until Nadya leaves on Tuesday. Then I'll go to Din and Inna's. It's been a big dilemma for me, because everyone wants me to stay with them, and it's hard for me to know how to be polite in this hospitable culture. Nadya told me last night that they would like me to stay the whole two months with them. But Din told me last night that he has lots of ideas of what I could do when i stay with them...the state orphanage, for example, and some church outreach stuff in the city. And I want to do it all. I love all of these people! Haha. So anyways, the plan is to stay here till Tuesday then go to Din and Inna's. Then I'll go day by day. I would come back here after a week or two, but all of the Germans are leaving, Nadya and Sasha and the kids are leaving, and so it would only be Slavik and Tanya's family here. Who knows. We'll decide as it comes.
The orphans have been doing stuff the past couple of days...I don't know...but we haven't been able to go. Today we will. Yesterday I planned out the schedule for the next couple weeks. Every day we will do our songs in Russian, one in English, then Bible reading (out of Luke), then memory verse (new one each Saturday). I'll have them make booklets where they add a drawing of the day's Bible story along with the memory verse each time. Then we'll do a craft or science experiment out of Natasja's books. I'm excited! I just need to learn their names...
Ok so I am finding myself able to understand most of what is being said around me, which is encouraging for me and for them. However, the whole speaking part is coming a lot slower. Please pray for me. I'm trying, but my English tongue cannot make some of these crazy sounds. Plus I have to think about the whole feminine/masculine/neuter rules before I say anything. Sheesh. So I can listen to what they say to me, and have Natasja translate my reply :) But I'm only a week in. 7 more weeks of practice.
I'm getting excited about the family camp already! It will be so great to be able to talk to the team AND be able to talk to the Russians (Lord willing).
But what's going on at home? Send me emails or facebook messages!! Or comment on here. I want to hear from all of you...ask me questions or tell me what you're praying for. And tell me about your life! I want to pray for you too!
Madison? Anna? Tori? Courtney? Morgan? Mom? Sarah?? Providence Community people??
Much love,
J
It's weird to think that your church service is long over and I am preparing for ours here right now. Daniel prays over me on Saturday nights, and we also prayed for you last night as you were waking up in that moment in Russia that you would know the Spirit's immanence.
ReplyDeleteStuff here is great. Today we are all (six of us?) heading to the creek to baptize Chris. He has started his new job at Domino's Pizza and he LOVES it. Jared is back from LA (I forget if you met him? Leads us in praise on Sundays and engaged to Stasi, MJ's roommate come the fall). And I start Greek Readings with Byrd tomorrow!
I'm really excited to read how quickly you are picking up on the language there and that you are getting to work with the kids in Scripture. Still praying...
I hate to say I told you so, but... I told you so! I knew you would pick up the language just given time and practice. God has given you great ability to do things like that.
ReplyDeleteMorgan and I are spending the weekend together. Friday night she cooked me dinner and we watched "Dear John" (not as good as I thought it would be). Then yesterday we went to church together and then went to Macaroni Grill to have wonderful glutenous food. Today I'm going to buy a new purse.
I hate that you are missing the messages at Fellowship. They are amazing and Lloyd once again delved into Scripture that I thought I knew backwards and forwards, and brought out things I never knew. Christ is EVERYWHERE in Scripture, even in Genesis!
Praying for language clarity, spiritual discernment, guidance for where to stay, and for your heart to be FULL and spilling over into these wonderful people. God has a special place in His heart for orphans, so give them extra special love, hugs, touch. Let them know that their God has them in the palm of His hand and will wrap them like a blanket. He loves them even more than you do.
Love you, sweetie. Mom