Cherkessk!
So today I went to Cherkessk for a day of shopping. Slash tourism. Mostly tourism while wondering who really buys this stuff. But alas, this is the little white house of Cherkessk, above. The big sign says "We love you, our city!" which I read and understood all by myself. Tiny victories make me happy.
My lunch, which was $5. Yes, that is the FIRST diet coke I've had in a month, and it was fabulous. And the food was surprisingly yummy and not overly Russian. But that I mean it didn't make me sick.
Irina in the market. She was looking for shoes to wear to her wedding, and she found these gems. Just kidding, we just wanted to be tourists and take pictures of the outrageous shoes...
I don't even know. Unsanitary.
Katya was looking for wedding shoes as well. You won't be surprised to hear neither her nor Irina bought shoes. :)
Does this one even need a caption?
The market!I'm exhausted. Cherkessk was such an experience! What a blessing to have Irina (who speaks my language and shares my culture shock) and Katya (who knows her way around the city and is a joy to get to know) with me. Dinislam drove us there this morning and then the three of us ventured out on our own for the day. I bought some buns for hamburgers, which I'm making tomorrow for the fam, birthday gifts for Lianna, who turns 6 on July 20, and a map of the Caucuses which I'm already in love with. (Kent!) Also, I bought some food in a grocery store all by myself and understood how much to pay and everything! I was so happy.
Last night I got to talk to Michelle for a long while. You all should be very jealous because she is such a cool woman. She stayed here for 4 weeks a few years ago, and so can sympathize with the joys, struggles, amazement, and discomfort of being here alone for so long. Thanks for talking with me, Miss Michelle! Cannot WAIT for you to get here and catch up with our beautiful friends.
Time is starting to fly now. I've been at Din and Inna's a whole week, but it seems like 3 days. I've decided to stay another week here, because I want to do more with the family before I move out. Tomorrow I'm going to the city for outreach with Dinislam, then making hamburgers/cheeseburgers for the fam. Then there's the orphanage visits, going to fitness, and visiting Venera, which are all most convenient when I'm staying here. Plus I want to let Din and Inna have a date night on Friday (don't tell them yet k? :) ) and keep the kids. So, lots to do and not so much time to do it anymore. Just a little over a month left, most of which will be filled with various camps.
Another thing I'm super excited about is visiting Arkady and his family in Kislovodsk. From what I hear, it is a really neat city, very European and touristy. Which is like the opposite of Karachaevsk. Karachaevsk is like 1/4 Europe, 1/4 Asia, and 1/4 Middle East, and 1/4 dirt/exhaust.
So yeah, Kislovodsk maybe the first or second weekend in July. Hopefully it will be restful and interesting. I'm thinking about asking Tanya and Karina if they would like to go...
Man I love these people. Many of you, my friends and family in America, think I love Russia, which I guess is true in a sense. But really what I love is these people. I would gladly do without the culture, the food, the hassle of the police, and the language barrier. But getting to know these people (slowly but surely!) makes it all so worth it. Believe me, Americans, when I say that we have some beautiful brothers and sisters in this not so beautiful part of the globe.
(Ok, the mountains are beautiful. But you know what I mean.)
Your captions are so funny. I am really glad that you're adjusting well. That is so many prayers answered :) We all miss you here and still talk about you quite often!
ReplyDelete