Two Weeks Down,

Six to go. My infrequent blogging is the result of frequent thunderstorms, power outages, and unavailable computers. Apologies. It has been a major source of frustration for me this week. Maybe the Lord is forcing me to rely on the relationships I have here instead of the ones at home. Because I have to have honest relationships...if there's nothing else I've learned from this experience, it's the necessity of the presence of the Body of Christ around me. And no matter how much is seems like the Body of Christ is across the ocean, it's actually very present right here as well.

I'll be honest, it has been a difficult week. I am hungry for home. I tried not to start a countdown, but I gave in (43 days). I go through moments of every emotion, but I know I'm here for a reason. It feels insignificant sometimes that I'm here. I spend a lot of time just talking with people in my broken Russian and their broken English. I spend a lot of time just playing with the kiddos (I'm living in a household with three right now - 11, 5, and 7 mo. They love to come in my room and just play, talk, laugh, and learn.) I spend a lot of time drinking tea and eating. So the majority of my actions are not obviously "missions," not drastically changing people or saving souls. They are understated, just living among these people and allowing myself to be embarrassed, make mistakes, dislike the culture (or occasionally like it :) ) My prayer is that the Lord would change me and the people around me during my time here, even in ways that are not evident to us. I am finding myself more broken and more aware of my sin and selfishness and smallness every day, which is grace because it pushes me to Him.

I had a dream last night that I came home and forgot Russian right away, and I was sad. So when I get home, I'm going to want to speak Russian to all of you, ok??

My stomach is unhappy often, a result of the food I'm not used to eating. And my skin in allergic to Russia apparently, because some sort of irritation is taking over my face. My clean clothes smell like mold and my dirty clothes smell like fish. And I'm constantly tired.

So praise the Lord! I'm uncomfortable!! Something rarely experienced by us in the US of A, am i right? What grace from God these things are. They point me to heaven and to the things that really matter - people, relationships, prayer, Scripture. Some nights they are the only things that keep me going, and that, my friends, is something to praise God for.

He is taking away my false sense of security and self-reliance.

I wish I could show you the little moments Christ tells me "IGBOK." Like the night the power went out and we sat at the kitchen table - Tanya, Slavik, Karina, Rusik, Timothy, and me - singing worship songs in Russian and English as Slavik played guitar to the candlelight.

Or the day I couldn't stop crying and Tanya came and talked to me in the Russian words I understand (approx. 1/86 of the language probably) telling me about life there, about culture, about what I miss and what I want and what God wants.

Or the other day when I went to the orphanage and two of the girls ran up and hugged me. These kids don't talk to me or look me in the eye. But the other day two of them hugged me.

Or when we pray in circles - the Russians, the Germans, the Dutch, the Karachai, and the American - in our languages. I look forward to the day when "God will give them a pure speech that they may worship Him in one accord" (Zephaniah), but for now it's super cool to worship Him in the languages we know. Yesterday I was driving with Din and Inna, and we said John 3:16 in our native languages - English, Karachai, and Russian. Beautiful.

There are more, but I have to go. Thank you for your prayers. Hopefully next week i will have a more consistent internet connection to update you better on ways to pray for me. For now just pray for significance, that the toil and frustration of these days will turn into joy and dancing. Its all for Him.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

    Jordan,
    Do not lose heart! We miss you so much here at The Providence Community. Though you were only with us for a few weeks, "We give thanks to God always for you, constantly mentioning you in our prayers," (1 Thess. 1:2). Paul only spent two weeks in Thessalonica.

    May the mold of your clothes remind you of the state of our hearts when sin is not repented of. May that fishy smell remind you that we are called to be fishers of men. May your hunger for home remind you of your soul's hunger for Home. May your upset stomach and irritated skin remind you of the glorified bodies we will one day receive--free from all disease and pain.

    I remind you as Paul reminds the Romans, "Whatever is not from faith is sin" (Rom. 14:23). When you countdown, are you counting down in faith--with the hope that God may be glorified? I pray that your countdown would be interrupted by the return of our Lord. When you spend time with children, is it out of the unquenchable desire to glorify God through Christ Jesus? If not, playing with those children is sin. The grace of our Lord still runs deeper and for this our hearts ought to continually be in a posture of worship--regardless the state of our bodies. Yet even when our hearts dare to stand up proudly against God, He convicts us and forgives us by the Holy Spirit.

    Don't just wait it out. I have NEVER been away from home that long Jordan--and trust me, I HATE going out of town so it would be so hard for me. I can't imagine the difficulty given the language barrier. Look what happens to Paul and Barnabas in Acts 14:11 due to a language barrier!

    Your blog post took the format of Psalm 13 beginning with, "How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my hear all the day?" (v. 2) as you spoke of your struggle of loneliness. And ending with, "I will sing to the LORD, because he has dealt bountifully with me" (v. 6) when you reminisced singing songs of praise in three different languages. Surely you can relate to the Psalmist and surely the Spirit of Christ is in you as it was in him.

    "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written. 'For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.' No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure than neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Rom. 8:35-39).

    Though you may be thousands of miles from us, there is not an inch between you and God. May the Spirit help you in your weakness and intercede for you with groanings too deep for words--regardless of the language. I am confident He will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I had typed out a long comment yesterday and just when I was ready to post, my internet went down and all was lost. And this morning I can't find the words.

    I was reminded this morning that Jesus intercedes for us, translates if you will, to the Father when we just don't have the words. Relax in that - He knows your heart and he knows you are totally sold out for Him and His work, even if today that is just to give hugs to kids that don't get hugs very often if ever. I love how God is showing up and that you are noticing. He loves you my sweet. He sees you, He notices you, you are significant to Him!

    I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. HEY JORDAN YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DONT EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH I WOULD LOVE TO BE IN YOUR SHOES HELPLESS AND VOULNERABLE(or however you spell it) Dont forget that you are constantly being prayed for (even when you are sleeping cuz we are still awake)

    But anyway um....about our lessons. sorry to dump another burdon on you but would you consider taking a lesson or should me and becca just take it all? BEEEEEEE HHHOOOONNEESSSTTT!!!!!!!!!!!! ok just email me with your ideas.

    Aaron Feick

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Wednesday Refrain

Staying Outside